General Definition of the Work
The Project Coordinator will play a significant leadership role in transitioning the 1,800+ member Port Authority Police Department onto a modernized, electronic crime and incident-reporting system. This work will involve project management, stakeholder coordination, and strategic communication tasks done in an office environment, as well as occasional field visits and observations conducted on-site at police commands in the NY and NJ area. This work will be overseen by the Security Business Resource Management & Planning group, which provides administrative and business support to the Port Authority Police Department, under the Office of the Chief Security Officer. This is a full-time, one-year opportunity.
Primary tasks include:
• Assisting current project manager with a range of delegated tasks, including planning and logistics for all training sessions and go-live dates scheduled throughout the year
• Maintaining situational awareness of all project components through use of a project work plan, check-ins with stakeholders, and other means the Project Coordinator might develop
• Keeping lines of communication open across stakeholders by convening regular meetings
• Identifying and advancing business process changes that might be required as a result of technology replacing a paper or manual process
• Creating new solutions for the police to use the new records management system, such as developing standardized reports that can be generated for statistical or auditing purposes
• Communicating vendor needs to agency staff (including Technology Department), and assisting with resolution on a case-by-case basis, to ensure project milestones are achieved
• Demonstrated ability to liaise with a variety of stakeholders and audiences, ranging from boots on the ground to executive management
• Strong problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Attention to detail, including strong organizational skills
• Entrepreneurial spirit, including the ability to master new information quickly
• Sense of humor and outside-of-the-box thinking
• Valid driver’s license with ability to travel to multiple sites in NY or NJ
• Ability to work evening/early morning, or weekend hours when necessary (though infrequent)
Education and Experience
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, preferably with coursework in public administration, public policy, project management, or related field (e.g., criminal justice, pre-Law, business administration)
• Graduate degree in similar fields described above desired but not required
• Demonstrated experience organizing large groups of people or coordinating events (this could include in a volunteer capacity, for a non-profit or political campaign)
• Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite required. Experience with Microsoft Project, and business intelligence software such as Tableau, strongly preferred
• Proven leadership in decision making. Experience with police or security is not required; demonstrated ability to tackle new topics and become a relevant contributor is required.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com; or apply online at indeed.com.